Thursday, June 27, 2013

Kennedy's Birth Story

I had my 38 week apt Monday April 15th and to say that I was over being pregnant was an understatement.  I had been swelling for the last week or two and sleeping just wasn't happening at night.  I seriously think I averaged a hour to hour and a half each night.  And people, sleep deprivation can take a toll on someone!!
 
So, my intent when I saw the doctor that day was to let the water works flow and boy did they.  He checked me and said that I was dilated and my cervix had thinned a little.  Thinking back, I think I was 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced (?)  I could be wrong though.  So, once I heard that I had made some progress but not much the tears started flowing.  My doctor felt so sorry for me that he "checked" me again (actually he ripped my membranes) and told me that I might want to just "show" up tomorrow morning, say around 5:30 or 6:00 and when they checked me I would have shown major cervical change.  He was on-call that night, so when and if I arrived the next day he would be the one to say Admit her. 
What actually happened was, since you can't induce anymore before 39 weeks, he wrote down in my chart I was 3 cm and 50% when I was actually further along and then once he ripped my membranes he knew I was going to have major cervical change over night, so when I came in the next day they could say I was In Labor.  Did that make sense?  Because it still confuses me sometimes when I think about it. 
 
Anyways......
 
We showed up at the hospital Tuesday morning at 5:30 and go figure - I was actually have contractions and they were 5 minutes apart!  They hooked me up to be monitored and then called my Doctor.  He told them to admit me and he would see me later.  He actually went off call at 7 that morning, so he wasn't going to be the one to deliver Miss Priss. 
We called our families around 7 and told them we had been admitted and were in a room, so they could come whenever they wanted to, but we had a long road ahead of us so if they wanted to wait it out at home/work we totally understood!
It was a LONG day to say the least.  They started Pitocin and broke my water around lunch maybe a little before.  Well, I'm not sure if I told y'all but I was very adamant about waiting as long as I could before I requested my epidural.  I didn't want to be one of those ones that it wore off right when I was about to birth my child. ;)  So, when Ashley (my amazing nurse) told me the doctor was about to come in and break my water and she was about to start the Pitocin - I freaked and said "I want my epidural" Ha!  So much for waiting.  But, those two words together freaked me out! :)
They broke my water (or they thought they did) started Pitocin, and I got my epidural and I was feeling great!  I seriously thought Man this is going to be easy. lol
 
Long story short - my epidural wore off TWICE!!!!

  I was 8cm and having contractions every 30 seconds and I was in PAIN.  I was screaming bloody murder! Bout the time I would get through one contraction, I could already feel another one coming on.  I couldn't catch a break to breath and calm down before another one hit.  And let me just tell you those things are rough.  
If you are reading this and are expecting. I'm not going to sugar coat this.  NO ONE and I mean NO ONE told me anything about how labor was going to be.  Not that I probably would have wanted to know, but....
I was in desperate need of relief.  My contractions were taking so much out of me, that I seriously was scared I was going to be too worn out to actually push when the time came.  I was begging, actually screaming, for some kind of relief.  They ordered another dose of medicine to be put into my catheter the first time and it wore off after two hours.  Again, I was back to some of the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. MY OB came in and saw how much pain I was in and went and found the Anesthesiologist himself to get her to give me some kind of relief. 
She came in, gave me some more medicine and I seriously looked her in the face and told her "not to go anywhere" and I was dead serious.  I could feel that I was close to pushing and I didn't want to feel what I was feeling then and me pushing a baby out at the same time. 
TMI?? Sorry!
So, I was ready to push and y'all if your OB practice is anything like mine and they have 7 doctors. DO NOT worry about requesting one.  The nurses do everything and I mean everything.  I was seriously about to push Kennedy out and the nurse had to call the doctor again and tell him it was GO TIME.  He walked in, slipped his scrubs and caught Kennedy!  He suctioned her nose, and mouth let D cut the umbilical cord and he left.  He was in there maybe 5 minutes!

I couldn't have made it without my amazing husband, momma and sister!!!  They were my rock the whole entire day!!!! :)

Kennedy Brooke was born at 8:49 pm Tuesday April 16, 2013!

It was a long day!!!
All the pain I experienced my whole pregnancy and that day along went away the moment they laid her on my chest!!!  I asked for us to do skin-to-skin and they let me have over an hours worth of her just laying there and feeding for the first time. 
AMAZING!!!!

We couldn't be anymore in love with her!!!! :) 
To us she is Perfect!!!!

 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin she's gorgeous!! Those rosy cheeks :)

Congratulations momma. I hope you keep us all updated on how both you and Kennedy are doing.

p.s. LOVE the name. Very cute

Aishlea said...

Aw, poor lady! So sorry it was so rough...but I'm thankful you had a healthy beautiful baby girl and were a healthy mommy! :) She's precious!