Have you ever sat back and wondered how much time you really spend on social media?
I did - and it was pathetic.
I'm not sure what brought it to my attention, maybe the video going around Facebook about what the world is coming to with social media. I'm sure y'all saw it too. It seriously was a slap in the face to me. When I watched, I just thought "wow, that is sad and I can so relate," I actually think I even shared it and made a comment - along with several other people on FaceBook. But I just went on with my business and kept getting on daily. That next weekend we went to Ambers and for some reason, it really stood out how much I was on it, and not only me - my sister and my mom too. Every time we would get into the car to go to our next destination, someone would pick up there phone to check FB or Instagram. When we got home from shopping and changed clothes, as soon as we sat on the couch, we got on our phones. I even noticed the next morning, that was the first thing we all did before we really even got out of bed.
Mind you K was there all weekend! How much time did we push her aside to "scroll a little bit more" to see what all happened? I'm not really sure but I'm sure it was a lot.
I was literally checking FB and IG all day at work, when I had a minute, I would even catch myself checking it on the way home - driving. I mean what seriously could have happened within 15 minutes of me leaving work and making it half way home. I even caught myself a time or two, telling my child to go and get her ball so it would buy me a minute or two to scroll some more.
PATHETIC!!!!
I'm just keeping it real here people!
And when I think about it now, it just breaks my heart. I was so worried about what my friends were doing, what they did that weekend or what memories they were making with their families that I was missing out on making my own.
Kennedy is only little once and it's flying by. I love so much the stage she is in and how fun it is to hear her learning to talk more and put words together and also associating words with objects.
Mind you during all this, I'm feeling more and more like a failure as a mother and wife and the amount of guilt I got by looking at FB was crazy.
I'm friends with a lot of stay at home mom's and to see what they were doing during the day with their babies while I'm stuck at work, just made me a miserable jealous person. When I saw a friend get flowers from her husband "just because" made me think "Ugh, why can't my husband get me flowers for no reason" or when I would see people brag about happy presents that they would get for no reason made me resent my husband and our plan that we both came up with about our finances. About that stuff not being important and what was important - our savings and Kennedy's college is what really mattered at the end of the day.
Y'all FB and IG is a evil thing. I'm not here to bash the people that still use it, because who knows how long mine will stay deleted. But, when you get to the point that you are on it instead of spending time, quality time, with your family - there is a problem. When you go out to eat and you catch yourself on it instead of talking to your spouse - there is a problem.
We went to Red Robin for Mothers day and I kid you not. There was a family that sat down beside us and as soon as they ordered their drinks, the two kids pulled out their iPad's and the parents got on their phones - for the whole entire meal. I promise you they didn't say more than 5 words and they left before us. It sadden me so much that "that" is our world right now.
Daniel and I have talked long and hard about this and we both have came to an agreement that when we get home in the afternoons, our phones get put up. Sure, we can still take pictures and if we need to look up something we will but no social media! It can wait until the next day when we are at work. I still have IG but will only use it at work.
I have an amazing life! My husband is the best thing ever and spoils me absolutely rotten! Our child is beyond perfect in our eyes and we are in awe of God's blessing when it comes to her! We couldn't ask for better health or family! And when it comes down to it, we have everything we need and want.
So, why compare ourselves to other people??






1 comment:
I have been fairly anti social media lately. I have never had IG and fb bores me half the time. Hell I have even been bad with blogger lately. I think I'm just burnt out on social media right now.
Post a Comment